Organization: Reedsport School District
POSITION: The Reedsport School District will hire a full-time music specialist to teach general elementary music, along with secondary band and choir. The successful candidate will help each student develop an appreciation of music as an essential part of academic and social skills development. Our school community believes music education is vital to our culture and the successful candidate will be supported in all music teaching and learning tasks.
REPORTS TO: Building Principals
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Meets the standards of Competent and Ethical Performance as outlined in Oregon Administrative Rule (OAR 584-020-0000 to 584-020-0045). The following are examples of principle duties; however any one position may not cover all duties listed and examples may not cover all duties an employee is expected to perform.
1. Teach skills in music appreciation, harmony, and explorations in music.
2. Instruct students in citizenship and basic subject matter that is aligned with Oregon Content Standards for Music education.
3. Plan and implement a balanced music program, organize daily class time, and incorporate performance rehearsals in an efficient manner.
4. Provide small group and individual instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student.
5. Utilize a repertoire of different music literature, including traditional and contemporary, that are appropriate for the ages and skill levels of all students.
6. Manage the storage and maintenance of all district-owned property and make minor adjustments and repairs to instruments, as needed.
7. Provide an orderly and productive learning environment during music practice, group rehearsals, and student performances.
8. Evaluate each student’s music education growth and performance using a reliable assessment rubric.
9. Apply knowledge of Oregon and national performance standards in a manner that helps student achievement and considers community partnerships.
10. Communicate with parents, colleagues, and administrators on student progress and behaviors.
11. Cooperate with school administrators, support staff, and community partners in providing musical programs for school productions, graduation ceremonies, civic functions, and/or related school community performances.
12. Perform other duties, as needed, as requested by the building principals.
GENERAL PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS:
1. Perform duties in a courteous and efficient manner that builds confidence and enhances learning.
2. Maintain regular attendance and be punctual.
3. Respect confidential information and the privacy of students, staff, and parents.
4. Reflect upon own teaching performance and accept and utilize suggestions and feedback.
5. Attend and participate in staff meetings, relevant school/district meetings, and designated professional learning.
1. Valid Oregon Teaching License in Music, or ability to obtain a Music endorsement.
2. Familiarity with a variety of age-appropriate instructional, assessment, and behavior management strategies.
3. Familiarity with all Oregon Music Standards.
4. Ability to direct students in a positive, productive, and clear manner.
5. Ability to direct the work of instructional assistant(s).
6. Good computer skills with document management organization strengths.
If interested, please submit an application, resume, and letter of interest to Donna Shaw at the District Office, located at 100 Ranch Road. or you may email to: firstname.lastname@example.org